Tuesday, March 17, 2009

25 Feel Good Songs - Sound & Vision Edition

So, I thought I'd one of the lists I've done recently for facebook and plug it in here, too, but since I can, I'm going to try and find links for all the books, somewhere online playing the songs, that sort of thing. Visual and audio aids to make everyone who's already seen this elsewhere have to look again.

First off, is the (this really needs a drum roll) List of Twenty-Five Feel Good Songs:

1. Baby Elephant Walk – Quincy Jones
Jones really knocks this Henry Mancini number out of the park by just sharpening the cadence from the brass.


(This ain't the Jones version, but the original. Just imagine it sharper.)

2. Funny How Time Slips Away – Junior Parker
Last thing he ever recorded and just funny and charming as hell.

3. Up on Cripple Creek – The Band
That’s how it is somedays, too.



4. When I Paint My Masterpiece – Bob Dylan
Which is also how it is somedays. An ode to not getting there and enjoying the delay.


(With bonus installation being put up and taken down.)

5. They Say It’s Spring – Blossom Dearie
Anyone who doesn’t love Blossom Dearie has no soul.

6. The Harder They Come – Jimmy Cliff
Could be one of the most egotistic songs in the history of ever. But it’s not.



7. Rain Street – The Pogues
Ah, optimism. Or, reality. Something like that.



8. Autumn Almanac – The Kinks
All the people I meet, do seeem to come from my street.



9. Dixieland – (well, thereby hangs a few tales, yes?)
I can see my Mom shaking her head all the way ‘cross the internets, but sincerely, folks.



10. Elvis Fucking Christ – The Cramps
Lux Interior explains why he’s the almighty high lord trashman god of rock ‘n’ roll.



11. Back Alley Spaceboy – CobraTwister
The theme to Dai-Guard. Yes, the theme to Dai-Guard.



12. Home in My Hand – Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Just like trouble, you may find me on the corner of any two streets.

Let's hope this link works.

13. Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding
Another “last thing he recorded” song. He’s just pouring it out here, ain’t he?

14. Crimson and Clover – Joan Jett
One of the finest covers of all time and just gorgeously handled.



15. Let’s Get Familiar – Zombina and the Skeletones
Talk to your cats, people! Give them parts in your plays!

16. Oh! You Pretty Things – David Bowie
Fear of the new! Fear of the old! Bowie indicts it all!



17. Bold as Love – Jimi Hendrix
Yes.



18. This One’s for Me – Tom Petty
Simple, selfish, and catchy.

19. It’s Too Funky in Here – James Brown
Gimme some air!



20. Dear Prudence – The Beatles
Really does it’s job, this one. At least, I think she did actually go out and perform.



21. I Thank You – Sam and Dave
But you did, but you did.



22. The Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" – Ludwig von Beethoven
Again, if this doesn’t hit your high buttons, commercial culture has failed you and you have no soul.



23. Streetbeater – Quincy Jones
The theme from Sanford and Son and a great on the move song.

24. Baby, I Love You – The Ramones
Another great cover, and in the words of Warren Ellis, “The sound of being a teenager and in love.”



25. I Shall Be Free – Bob Dylan
Greasy kids stuff.

No comments:

 
Site Meter